The Punjab Urban Planning and Development Authority (PUDA) is Punjab’s elite institution for the development of balanced urban growth. Established in July 1995,During 2006-07 Six Regional Development Authorities have been established for planning & development of areas in their respective jurisdiction. PUDA working as an umbrella over these Regional Development Authority, prepares long termstrategic plans, as well as detailed local-area plans, for physical development, and then co-ordicates and guides effors to bring these plans to reality.
Prudent land use planning has enabled Punjab to enjoy strong economic growth and social cohesion, and PUDA ensures that sufficient land is safeguarded to support continued economic progress and future development.
The main Objectives of PUDA are:
- Carrying out integrated planning and physical development of declared urban areas.
- Formulating and submitting development plans, including capital investment plans.
- Undertaking the execution of development projects and schemes.
- Formulating and implementing urban land use policy.
- Developing environmental standards and preparing schemes for the environmental improvement of urban areas.
- Providing technical planning services.
- Preparation and implementation of regional Plans, Master plans, New township Plans and Town Improvement Schemes.
- Promoting research and development of new techniques in City planning, Urban Development and Housing Construction.
- To promote and secure better planning and development of the state.
In order to achieve its objectives, PUDA's operational frame work and area of focus revolves around:
- Creating affordable housing using environment-friendly building materials and cost-effective building technologies.
- Creating self-contained and self-sustaining residential complexes in the shape of Urban Estate/Integrated Townships.
- Undertaking projects which focus on promoting urban development, developing commercial complexes, creating state-of-the art infrastructure.
- Optimum utilisation of vacant government lands to generate additional resources for the State government for financing city redevelopment, regeneration and other infrastructural development.
- Create ethos of conversation to enhance overall development in the state.